Colgate University Rugby
Colgate and Academics
Admissions and Student Demographics
Students: 2,918 students | 242 international | 29% multicultural | 7% international
Full-time faculty: 294 faculty | 99% have a PhD, or highest degree in their field
Majors and Minors: 54 Majors and 63 Minors in Arts, Humanities, Sciences, etc.
Admissions Deadlines: November 15: ED1 Deadline | January 15: ED2 and RD Deadline
Financial aid**: Tuition: $49,650 | Average award: $42,575 | Demonstrated need met: 100%
** Colgate students may participate in Army ROTC through Syracuse University
Class of 2019 Profile
Applicants: 8,722 (113 countries) | Accepted: 26% | Public/Private School: 54% / 46%
SAT middle 50%: 660-750 reading; 660-750 math | ACT middle 50%: 31-34 | Avg. GPA: 3.8
Rugby and Athletics
- Colgate University has a long rugby tradition, dating back to 1966, and the school competes in NCAA Division 1.
- Our program has a dedicated full-time rugby pitch (Academy Field) prominently placed on Oak Drive, and access to Colgate’s athletics and fitness facilities, plus dedicated professional coaching.
- We are supported by the Colgate Rugby Alliance (an official booster organization) and several endowments, and the club is well-regarded by the university and enjoys a large fan following – we are the biggest club sport on campus.
- We compete in Fifteens in Fall, Sevens in Spring, with several sides on each of the men's and women's programs to ensure all players get game time.
- Our men compete in the D1 Empire Conference (ACRC) and our women compete in the NSCRO, placing 2nd in the nation in 2015.
- In Spring 2015, our 2nd season in D1AA, our men's 7s program was ranked #14 at the end of the season by ACRC.
- Our men's schedule includes a fall pre-season rivalry game against Cornell, challenge 15s matches in spring, playing 7s at the Las Vegas Invitational, and international tours.
- We have a year-round strength and conditioning program developed by an athletic performance professional, Matt Green '01, through his company Scenic City Strength & Fitness, administered through a dedicated web portal.
Academy Field, Colgate's Iconic Rugby Pitch
Academy Field has been the home of Colgate Men’s and Women’s Rugby since 1970 – a full-size pitch dedicated solely to rugby, situated along iconic Oak Drive near the main entrance to campus. In recent years, improvements made include permanent goalposts and a scoreboard. Parents, fans, and friends gather in crowds along the sidelines to watch our teams compete.
- Colgate has no religious affiliation or mandatory curriculum. However, the college is home to religious communities representing a number of Christian, Catholic, Jewish, and other faiths.
- Hamilton, NY is home to an LDS Branch, associated with the Stake in Utica (30 mins). The Palmyra temple is 2hrs away.
Colgate Rugby's men's and women's coaches are happy to talk about our academics, student life, and rugby program with any prospective player, coach, or parent/guardian.
We also have several alumni serving as regional representatives who would be happy to meet with players or teams in person to answer questions.
- D.C./Baltimore/Virginia/Maryland - Tyler Swiggett '13 and Graham Rieser '13
- NY Metro - Matt Ford '13
- Seattle/Portland/B.C. - Matthew Hansen '02
- Los Angeles - Carl Eckert '14
- San Francisco Bay Area - Raman Malik '14
- Chicago/Midwest - Justin Sokolowski '03
If you'd like to be contacted, please fill out our form below.