Colgate University Rugby
Colgate and Academics
To help you learn more about Colgate, please visit the Admissions site by clicking HERE.
Admissions and Student Demographics
Students: 2,918 students | 242 international | 29% multicultural | 7% international
Full-time faculty: 294 faculty | 99% have a PhD, or highest degree in their field
Majors and Minors: 54 Majors and 63 Minors in Arts, Humanities, Sciences, etc.
Admissions Deadlines: November 15: ED1 Deadline | January 15: ED2 and RD Deadline
Financial aid**: Tuition: $49,650 | Average award: $42,575 | Demonstrated need met: 100%
** Colgate students may participate in Army ROTC through Syracuse University
Class of 2019 Profile
Applicants: 8,722 (113 countries) | Accepted: 26% | Public/Private School: 54% / 46%
SAT middle 50%: 660-750 reading; 660-750 math | ACT middle 50%: 31-34 | Avg. GPA: 3.8
Rugby and Athletics
- Colgate University has a long rugby tradition, dating back to 1966, and the school competes in NCAA Division 1.
- Our program has a dedicated full-time rugby pitch (Academy Field) prominently placed on Oak Drive, and access to Colgate’s athletics and fitness facilities, plus dedicated professional coaching.
- We are supported by the Colgate Rugby Alliance (an official booster organization) and several endowments, and the club is well-regarded by the university and enjoys a large fan following – we are the biggest club sport on campus.
- We compete in Fifteens in Fall, Sevens in Spring, with several sides on each of the men's and women's programs to ensure all players get game time.
- Our men compete in the D1 Empire Conference (ACRC) and our women compete in the NSCRO, placing 2nd in the nation in 2015.
- Our women have consistently been one of the top teams in NSCRO, including placing 2nd nationally in 2016 15s, and national 7s champions in 2017.
- Our schedule includes a robust pre-season, men's fall pre-season rivalry game against Cornell, and joint men's/women's international tours, most recently to the Bermuda 7s.
- We have a year-round strength and conditioning program and a dedicated athletic trainer, and offer health and safety considerations like concussion baselining.
Academy Field, Colgate's Iconic Rugby Pitch
Academy Field has been the home of Colgate Men’s and Women’s Rugby since 1970 – a full-size pitch dedicated solely to rugby, situated along iconic Oak Drive near the main entrance to campus. In recent years, improvements made include permanent goalposts and a scoreboard. Parents, fans, and friends gather in crowds along the sidelines to watch our teams compete.
- Colgate has no religious affiliation or mandatory curriculum. However, the college is home to religious communities representing a number of Christian, Catholic, Jewish, and other faiths.
- Hamilton, NY is home to an LDS Branch, associated with the Stake in Utica (30 mins). The Palmyra temple is 2hrs away.